Sunday, August 17
Novice Class Module 8 (pdf) (August 2014)
Themes: St. Dominic, St. Catherine, and the Holy Mother
Read complete documents unless otherwise specified.
- Lives of the Brethren of the Order of Preachers; Translated by John Placid Conway, O.P. Read Part I, Prologue, Chapters I, II, XXII-XXVII
- Fausto Appentente Die – Encyclical of Pope Benedict XV on St. Dominic, June 29, 1921
- Catherine of Siena: The Gift of Wisdom; Homily of Pope Paul the VI at Ceremony Proclaiming St. Catherine a Doctor of the Church (October 4, 1970)
- Catechismus of St. Thomas Aquinas; “Commentary on the Angelic Salutation”; pages 119-121
- Marialis Cultus – Pope Paul VI Apostolic Exhortation for the Right Ordering and Development of Devotion to the Blessed Virgin Mary of His Holiness, February 2, 1974, par.40-55
- On Devotion of the Rosary, Supremi Apostolatus Officio, Encyclical of Pope Leo XIII, September 1, 1883
- Rosarium Virginus Mariae, (On the Most Holy Rosary); John Paul II; October 16, 2002
Highly recommended reading but not required as part of class preparation.
1. History of The Lay Fraternities of St. Dominic (PNM I.1 History)
2. Dominican Devotion to Our Lady’s Rosary (PNM II.A.2 Rosary)
3. The Dialogue; St. Catherine of Siena; Translated by Suzanne Noffke, OP; Read the Introduction. Can be read on Google Books at http://books.google.com/books?id=bsGXhNZyUSgC&source=gbs_similarbooks but the print version is highly recommended.
Module 8 includes The Dialogue as translated by Algar Thorold in 1896 but his work is incomplete and scholars frequently criticize the translation as sometimes being less than accurate. Noffke’s translation is far superior but her copy right is in effect and no electronic format is legally available. You can purchase the eBook for $10 from Google Books.
*Inquirers Meeting: 9:50 am
*Meeting Agenda*11:15 am Holy Mass
12:20 pm Pot-luck Lunch, St. Joseph’s Hall (Please bring a dish to share)
1:15 pm Business Meeting
1:45 pm Discussion:
Readings for chapter meeting on August 17 from the book, EARLY DOMINICANS, edited by Simon Tugwell, O.P. Discussion leader: Fran Griffin. Be prepared to give a reflection on these readings or on your own reading and research on the life of our Holy Father Dominic. If you are limited in time, Fran suggests reading the chapters on the short life of St. Dominic and the testimonies from Dominic’s canonization.
- Early Dominicans.Canonization Process.part one 1
- Early Dominicans.Canonization.pt.2 plus Misc. Testimonies 1
- Early Dominicans.Life of St. Dominic 1
- Early Dominicans.9 Ways of Prayer of St. Dominic 1
- Early Dominicans.A Sermon on St. Dominic.Thomas Agni 1
- Early Dominicans.End Notes
2:45 pm Evening Prayer
3:15 pm Clean-up (Members, please help before leaving)
3:15 pm Confessions
4:00 pm Refreshments and beverages at local restaurant (TBA)
* Are you interested in the Third Order of Preachers? Then be our our guest at a chapter meeting. Please contact the President (
firstname.lastname@example.org) or the Director of Inquirers (